1. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: [Legendary Games] Legendary Bard Open Playtest

Quote Originally Posted by Mairn View Post
    Too many responses so I am not going to direct-quote things:

I actually like this idea a lot, probably going to rework Bardic Spellcasting to use this.

If I don't go with Eidetic Spellcaster, then I will try and rewrite this to make it less confusing.
    Great! Yes I see no issue with Prepared Bards having a limitless spellbook in their heads, especially when this Bard is supposed to be "Legendary." Tell all the magic stories! Learn all the magic songs! etc.

No. It would likely have a bunch of unintended issues, and would also cut a ton of spells people associate with bard, like Cure spells.

Word counts exist, and the thought of going through every single available spell to make a new "more thematic" spell list that I wouldn't get complaints about for ignoring X spell from Y source book makes me want to die. No thanks.
    Agreed.

Not happening. It would defeat the entire point of making inspirations separate so that the bard can actually use their performances in combat and not being locked into Inspire Courage 24/7.
    I am currently debating retooling the levels inspirations are handed out though.
    My one issue here is that Inspire Courage is THE combat performance. If you're going to track any of them round-by-round, this should be the one, because the player rationing those rounds between combat effectiveness for their party now vs. saving resources for future fights is the primary daily concern/interesting choice for the Bard, perhaps even ahead of their spell slots. The main combat performance being in the "Oh I just turn this on and don't worry about it for the rest of the day" bucket defeats the purpose of having a round-by-round resource in the first place.

I am still trying to figure out *something* to give them as an ACF that replaces this that doesn't use UI/Vigilante Social Talents, but most of the ideas I have come up with / have been suggested are already social talents, and just rewriting an already existing social talent is... meh.

As far as having to go read UI at level 2 goes: The book has everything referenced hyperlinked, even in the PDFs. This might have issues with physical copies, but LG products are designed to be digital products first and foremost.
    I get that, but you're talking about a rework of a core class referring to one of the most niche subsystems in the game from fairly late in PF's run. And UI being available to people isn't really the point; there's a mental real estate issue whereby Bard is a class you can reasonably expect people - especially new/inexperienced people - to want to pick up and play from just a single book.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-06-29 at 03:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)