1. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: My world is built on competing priesthoods, I'm not 100% that's a good idea.

Once the nation of Arkada was a bastion of civilization. Indeed, (in other countries,) it is remembered as the center of a golden age of art and learning. Some statues, buildings, aquaducts, and roads remain from that era, but few Arkadans remember those days as other than improbable myths.
    What they remember is generation upon generation of war and repression. In the last generation their greatest concern has been fear of death by the secret police, who would torture confessions out of their victims, then use the 'intelligence' they gained to make further arrests in the middle of the night.
    So it came as no surprise that most of the population was ready to take up arms when a minor noble whose family had fled just ahead of the death squads returned at the head of an army. Villages, towns, and cities surrendered to the rebels without a fight, and quickly turned on the Inquisitors, informants, and supporters of the self-styled Emperor.
    There was great mourning when General Gnadsch fell during the assault on the wall of The Golden City, which was a monument to the decadence of Emperor Vatrundal, who had squandered the wealth of Arkada, and the lives of thousands of peasants, to build it.
    But General Navin was on hand to complete the victory, and the citizens rejoiced when twenty-one axes fell and one Emperor plus twenty Councillors lost their heads.

"Your pay, as promised," General Navin said as he pushed a heavy chest of gold across the table.

"As promised," the weasel-faced man replied with a smile. "There was something more promised for aranging so fortunate an accident."

"Of course. You shall be appointed Governor of Falknest as soon as the new council can be appointed. Are you sure you don't want to be appointed to the council instead?"

"I fear the life of a councillor would be too, ahh, brief for my taste."

"Some, perhaps. Some who hold on to silly ideas of freedom and individuality. We have seen what that can be like all too recently. I want Arkada to return to its former glory as the mightiest nation in the world. We need one strong leader and an obedient population."

"I will do my part, my king." The weaselly man licked his lips and said,"What will you do for now?"

"I expect the peasants will tire of looting and destroying the palace in a few days. There may be opportunities for a few more fortunate accidents before it's over. Then we will begin to rebuild our nation. In my image." The general smiled. "But tonight I have time to indulge myself. I too have taken loot from the palace. Would you like to come with me to sample our former emperor's harem?"

The wheel sometimes rolls backward.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2020-06-29 at 09:29 PM.