1. - Top - End - #51
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What alignment are you when it comes to RPG rules?

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    To Quertus: Going back to the original post, look for the word "expense":
    That sounds like actually evil to me. On a practical level the difference between neutral and evil often comes down to how many people you are willing to get hurt along the way.
    I'm glad you worded it that way - it took me 3 tries to find Waldo

Maybe good "tries" to help others, but "stupid good" is often explicitly at the expense of (the fun of) others (and one's self).

So… good is evil?

IME, most gaming groups are terrible at communication. They act with hubris and unfounded assumptions, and make things that are terrible without thinking about it.

Evil, at least, is actually trying to do good - is actually trying to make something of verifiable value.

*And* evil is much more likely to result in productive communication, to move towards collaborative gaming: I'm trying to defend *my* fun, but, to do that, I need (or would benefit from) your help.

Good doesn't have such fail-safes, such inherent modes of improvement built in.

Quote Originally Posted by martixy View Post
    Tasty metaphor. I agree, generally, but such incompatibilities do tend to cause a lot of both overt and hidden problems on the table in the long run.
    That… is complicated. Such differences… need not be incompatibilities; they can instead result in a full-course meal. Whether that's better than just eating appetizers or just eating desert is a matter of opinion; I, personally, can appreciate both.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So, based on the OP, i believe the good/evil axis was intended to map to how you have fun, while the law/chaos axis maps how closely you hold to the books.

Good wants everybody to have fun, and wont knowingly have fun at the expense of other players. Neutral only cares about their own fun, but is not willing to antagonize anybody, while evil really doesnt care how anybody else feels as long as theyre enjoying themselves.
    I'm not sure that your explanation matches "how you have fun".

And, still playing evil's advocate, note how personal growth / improvement is inherent in Evil (getting kicked out isn't conducive to having fun), whereas good has no such incentives built in (and I've seen lots of idiotic good, in games and other areas of life, making things worse in the name of misperception, that keep harming things in part because they not only lack such incentives to improve, but because "belief that they've done good" actively incentives them to keep their blinders on).
    Last edited by Quertus; 2020-07-01 at 08:48 AM.