1. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Corlindale View Post
    I bought Into the Breach a few months ago because I love FTL. I gave it a quick whirl, didn't really click and felt overwhelmingly difficult, forgot about it again.

Gave it another shot yesterday, and I think I'm starting to get hooked. It's one of those games that do not really open up until you have some understanding of the mechanics, it seems, but I've reached a point where I kind-of sort-of know what I'm doing. Still early days, I've only just unlocked my third island and only have two squads so far.
    The best advice I could give would be to take your time with your turns and trust in the probability that there is a solution for each turn. I don't know if it's an AI trick or something, but even on Hard difficulty, there are very, very few turns where you logically can't avoid losing a building. It's just a matter of finding it, similar to those old "checkmate in 3" puzzles in the newspapers.

Also a basic tip: a good way to start a turn is to identify the "critical" enemies: the ones that threaten the buildings. The rest can often be ignored (not really, but we're talking basic). Most of the time you'll have 3 mech actions, and 3 critical enemies, and you just have to tie those together. Later on, you will find yourself in situations where there are more than 3 critical enemies, and that's where you'll have to pull the real shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I suppose I could give Pillars of Eternity 2 another whirl in turn based mode. Last time I tried I was already bored to death in the first hour. A whole lot of people talked at me for a while and then I was killing pointless boars on the starter beach. I could never kill pointless boars on a starter beach again and die a happy man.
    I found half speed combat to be the perfect speed to keep on top of things, personally. I'd suggest trying that.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2020-07-04 at 09:29 AM.