Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
It's a well established trope for a powerful person's right hand man to make a decision behind his back that makes him look good, and then make it look like it was his idea all along. That's how I would view Redcloak deciding to "betray" the dark one. If you want the gods to make concessions, dangling the possibility of ending their biggest threat ever and giving a demonstration to show it's possible isn't a bad way of going about that.

This would also give TDO two options if Redcloak did it: Play along and negotiate with the other gods, the supposed goal of his current plan. Or take his ball and go home, achieving nothing because now there are no gates left to subvert. I could see Redcloak, if he were less invested in his sunk cost fallacy, opting to take a more expedient route to his god's stated goal.
You're assuming TDO knows thing he doesn't and trusts the other gods. He believes he can survive to the next world, so if they take away the card he wants to play, he wouldn't just fold, he would play the other card - try to destroy the world so that he can have a hand in building the next one. He has trust issues already, being betrayed by the other gods in collusion with his high priest would do nothing but exacerbate that, well-known trope or not (and I don't that trope has the powerful person aware of his right-hand man's actions at all times). Further, given that "destroy the world" is already plan B, it seems just a tad more likely than "go dull about it peacefully".