Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
On that point (in a spoiler, because obvious spoilers for the ending of FF7R):

Spoiler: Spoilers for the ending of FF7 Remake
Show

I was pretty confused by a couple of the aspects of the end of FF7Remake (mostly about that Zack guy that pops up in a flashback near the end). I originally attributed it to not having played the original, so I did some research, and apparently Square Enix did something really, really interesting in the end there. That mega-sized boss you fight before fighting Sephiroth was quite literally the force keeping the game on the rails established by the original, and with its destruction the possibilities have been knocked wide open. It's even implied that this was arranged on purpose by Sephiroth because hew knows he's going to lose if fate has its way.

So, yeah, playing through the original to get a feel for what's next might no be as useful as the game being a remake might imply.
Spoiler: FF7R Ending
Show
I figured that was probably the case - I'd heard there was some controversy about the ending, and with the whole element of the Whispers being Arbiters of Destiny trying to make sure Destiny goes as intended, I guessed that was most likely what it was. Still, I can't imagine they'll change things too wildly, at least not at first. It is still a remake, and very obviously fanservice to those who loved the original is very high on the list of priorities for the devs.

That also feels like all the more reason to play the original, anyway - to understand, when the next part of Remake comes out, what's a deviation and what's not. Because as-is, I'd be in the dark about any changes they made, unless they change literally the most famous moment of the game (Aerith's fate, which is such a ubiquitous spoiler that I know it despite not having gotten that far the one time I played the game).