1. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    On that point (in a spoiler, because obvious spoilers for the ending of FF7R):

Spoiler: Spoilers for the ending of FF7 Remake
    Show

I was pretty confused by a couple of the aspects of the end of FF7Remake (mostly about that Zack guy that pops up in a flashback near the end). I originally attributed it to not having played the original, so I did some research, and apparently Square Enix did something really, really interesting in the end there. That mega-sized boss you fight before fighting Sephiroth was quite literally the force keeping the game on the rails established by the original, and with its destruction the possibilities have been knocked wide open. It's even implied that this was arranged on purpose by Sephiroth because hew knows he's going to lose if fate has its way.

So, yeah, playing through the original to get a feel for what's next might no be as useful as the game being a remake might imply.
    Spoiler: same topic
    Show
    On the other hand, in interviews and other media situations where the development/project coordinators/other people who ought to know have been asked about this.. the official line is consistently that FFVII fans will still recognize the overall story. We can probably expect some specific beats or the execution thereof to change, because if they don't than what was even the point of introducing and destroying an eldritch force dedicated to trying to preserve the 'right' story.. but the major events are presumably still going to find a way to happen.

Hopefully the Kalm Flashbacks will be shorter, or at least more engaging to play through.. still an open question as to how long the overall story/later part games are going to end up being, I believe. They took the 5-8 hours of Midgar in the original and blew it out to a 40+ hour story in its own right, although it'd be a fair bit shorter if you for some reason ignored all the sidequest requests. If all the rest of the original story gets a similar amount of expansion we could be looking at like 300 hours of game split up across who knows how many episodes. Or they can compress and speed through things a lot more than they did on this first episode; will that feel like giving up or a drop in quality to everybody who enjoyed the launch episode, if they don't get to spend five hours running around helping out the citizens of Kalm with their cow-herding problems, 10 hours exploring the various sections of Junon, etc?
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2020-07-05 at 12:44 PM.