View Single Post

Thread: New UA: Feats

1. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: New UA: Feats

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    TWF still isn't good.

You'd figure, looking at it, that "Oh a full bonus action attack, nice!" that something like Paladin would love it. Another Smite opportunity, plus Improved Smite at 11, it all makes sense.

Except now you need TWO magical weapons to fully bypass resistances, as opposed to something like a Glaive and Polearm Master combo or a Revenant Blade Double-Scimitar.

The best thing this does it allow Archery style on classes that typically can't get a fighting style at all. Bards stealing Holy Weapon or Swift Quiver, as an example. Or Valor Bards nabbing Dueling to pair with their shield. Rogues for Archery style.

I THINK this can do something for Monks but.... Dueling says you have to be wielding a weapon in one hand... Can you wield your own fist? They don't wear armor so they can't use Defense style. 2H weapons are out...

EDIT: On a Bladesinger? If you're actually looking to utilize that weapon and not use Bladesong strictly as an AC buff, yes. TWF is quite good. Paired with Spirit Shroud for another +1d8 on attacks, its especially solid. That's pretty much the only example I can think of where TWF is legitimately good, except for Fey Wanderer Ranger, but that went totally out of its way to accommodate TWF.
    If a DM is willing to drop a magical Glaive or Double Scimitar, then there's nothing stopping them from dropping a couple magic weapons for the TWFer (especially if they invest in dual wielding).

I Have a TWfer in my campaign, I never set out to give him two magical weapons, but he's actively sought out crafting a weapon and when weapons have dropped considered if they suit his style.

As for written modules, a PC is far more likely to come across two magical weapons they can TWF than a Glaive or DS user is to come across a magical version as written.

Still only found a single magic weapon? Suck up the resistance or get your hands on Magic Weapon. If you're a Paladin with Improved Divine Smite or a Rogue looking for another chance to Sneak chances are you would rather get that damage in at all.

This is the poorest argument against TWF.

Edit: Forge Clerics and Artificers also make this far less of an issue, if it even is an issue to begin with.
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2020-07-14 at 03:28 PM.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges