Alright, having gone through section 6 (having relied heavily on the descriptions) there only seem to be two scenes with the MitD sleeping. Page #662 (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html) and page #49 of SoD. I don't own SoD (yet) so I will have to ask people who do if you can see his eyes there. If so, that's a strike against the MitD being a protean, him needing to be awake in order to hold his form, after all.

Despite him possibly faking sleeping in #662, I do consider that page to make it slightly less likely, since we can assume that Redcloak, Tsukiko and Xykon have seen him sleeping before and would have noticed his eyes changing. His eyes not changing in #662 would then be a giveaway that he's faking, which none of them seem to pick up on, though to be fair they all had other things on their minds.

For my vote, decisions, decisions. I'm going to agree that the FBS causes too much trouble and strife. I read all the previous thread's yesterday. Therefore:

1. (Not quite) E): with the clause mentioned by Crusher that a periodic (or democratically decided) refresher is a must. I'm not going to quibble what form this takes, just that there is one. In fact, since I'd prefer having the FBS to E) without a refresher, it's probably best to call this option F) or G) instead (I can't seem to deduce if F) is taken or not).

2. Another homebrew. A), but with the caveat that the proposed creature has to plausibly have juvenile versions (aka. not explicitly excluded or have fluff that makes it impossible). So basically replacing FBS condition 6) with "Can plausibly have juveniles". Call it H), or A.2), or whatever. No, I'm not doing this to make your life more complicated, Grey Wolf, even if it has that effect. Sorry.

3. Any subset of A), B) or C).

4. Z), just to torpedo D) or E) (as written) with as much power is bestowed on me.

I'm quite aware that my inventing spree might make me responsible for helping implement my proposed changes should they gain traction. Why do I do this to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
-snip-
I second this. The protean fits better than described and the (comparatively) low strength of the Ha-naga with it having Colossal size is a disqualifying factor for me, in addition to the problem of staying hidden while slithering and the seeming implication of him having limbs (stomp, holding objects while moving).

~Malloon