1. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VIII

Good to see a new thread from you, Afroakuma!
    I hope that by now you had forgiven me for my older unclear questions and won't object to me asking new ones.

1) What does the name "Baator" means, or what's it named after in real life? Other planes are named after real\mythological\historical places (Arcadia, Gehenna, Elisium) or self-explanatory (Beastlands, Carceri, Mechanus). Limbo is from Divine Comedy by Dante. But after what Baator is named?

2) There is a now old game Neverwinter Nights 2 and it has a add-on named Mask of the Betrayer. It's pre 4ed and uses standard 3.5 system and cosmology. Yet, the protagonist in this game can consume souls\spirits\whatever there is of powerful creatures and even demigods or dead deities (Myrkul).

If the player will pursue evil storyline and do evil choices the game ending will say that he became a god-killing abomination and continued eternal devouring of everything or everyone and even gods had to flee to the edges of Multiverse.

Pretty much the same actually goes for the Snarl from the comic on which site we write.

Are creatures like this ever mentioned and can exist, at least potentially, in the original vanilla Planescape?
    Can a mortal receive such power?

3) In the same game, the hero discovers a carcass of Myrkul, floating in the middle of nowhere. Some most devoted worshipers even live on it. And the player can talk and interact with Myrkul. So, the dead deity can't grant spells, but still can talk to those in close vicinity, is it so?
    From older threads of this one I also read that in some cases dead deities can return, in special circumstances.

But can a deity be eradicated permanently?
    What happened to Aoskar? Does his remains float somewhere in Astral and can be potentially "resurrected" (far from Sigil), or he is gone completely?
    What happened to previous Mystra, Myrkul, Baal and Bane who were killed while being stripped of godhood? Are they completely gone, float in Astral or got afterlives as petitioners as mortals do?

4) There are two major endless wars in Multiverse: Blood War and a war between Githyanki and Githzerai. Due to the Rule of the Three, there should also be a third one. Is there one?
    I thought of endless conflicts of Acheron, but I'd say it isn't exactly one big war with constant stalemate.

5) Some long time ago, I asked if Spire is infinite to the depth as well, and you said that it is. Can there be another city, a twin of Sigil in the depth below the Spire? Has it ever been discussed, in the lore, or in real life?
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2020-07-23 at 05:37 AM.