Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
That isn't what Rich said. What he said in SoD was that Redcloak was driven to evil because of what his life had forced him to endure (while Xykon was just a ****).

The final scene of SoD illustrates what this means, and today's strip hammers the point home: Having been driven to evil doesn't make you any less evil. Redcloak has suffered terrible injustices. Redcloak claims a noble purpose. And Redcloak is a horrifying villain who has done unforgivable things, and continues to do such things, in order to preserve his own self-image of righteousness.

This is what makes OotS such a brilliant piece of storytelling.
I mean, not that I disagree with you there (I only partially do, but that's not my point here), but I would really like the following scene if and when Redcloak is brought to some sort of justice outside combat:

(Someone, preferably an Azurite): "What could be punishment enough for what you did?"
RC: "Well, you could do something Lawful and Good, such as maybe kill my family and destroy my village in front of me?"

Because, at the end of the day, Evil or not, Redcloak has a point that there's something fundamentally, horribly broken there. And worse: there, but for the love of the gods, goes anyone else. Roy, Haley, Elan, you name it.