View Single Post

Thread: spells that you would never want.

1. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: spells that you would never want.

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    I know animate dead is core o_O
    You brought up BoVD while talking about it, sorry if I misread.

Not a single person arguing for mindrape, though. Maybe if animate dead was called corpserape?
    Animate dead creates an unthinking, unfeeling automaton and as far as I know does not prevent the soul and mind from traveling to the appropriate afterlife. I don't really care what happens to my corpse. And most of the corpses an adventuring necromancer would be animating would be of monsters. Who cares if a necromancer 'defiles' the corpse of some hill giants there were murdering innocent civilians in previous weeks? If you have a metaphysical objection to [Evil] spells that's one thing, but I don't see how killing bandits with animated hill giant corpses is any worse than painfully incinerating them with fireballs until the air smells like burning human flesh.

I think mindrape, and honestly most dominate effects are a bit harder to argue for. Even dominate and charm person involve overriding a living persons free will. Standing next to sentient being who is being effectively enslaved via enchantment magic, which again the setting does not consider inherently Evil, is way more disturbing than fighting side by side with what is effectively an automaton made out of corpse. And even with that said, if you dominate or mindrape someone that was awful to fight for you, is anyone in medieval fantasy land really going to care all that much? Maybe if they're a serious devotee of some particular religion, but otherwise I doubt it. That said, I would personally have more issues using magic to obliterate and override a persons mind to effectively enslave them to my will than I would reanimating their corpse. Especially in D&D land where the body and soul are provably separate, corpses aren't people. And adventurers spend most of their time either making corpses or looting them anyway.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2020-08-05 at 03:01 AM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!