Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demiurge View Post
If someone is looking for in-universe explanations for all the stuff that happens when the comic was just a gag-a-day strip, I think sufficient retroactive explanations can be thought up without too much difficulty, as people are doing above.

The one thing I have no real in-universe, retroactive explanation for, however, is why Roy chose to lead a party of adventurers who found goblins challenging to face a lich we now know is an epic-level sorcerer backed up by a similarly leveled priest. Roy being a smart guy, I have to suspect he'd done enough research to know he was biting off a whole lot more than he could chew by going after Xykon at such a low level, and if not for that fluke victory and Xykon actively holding back the entire party would have been slaughtered.

Or maybe there's an explanation in Origin of PCs? Haven't read it yet.
Redcloak was like level 15 at the time, but he still could probably have gone 1v1 against any member of the order.
Though I think the entire order was mid level? They got two levels in the dungeon, and then they were good enough to be called "already high level" during Roy's death.

In either case, the climax in the Dungeon of Dorukan would have been a slaughter had Xykon been serious. RC might have died if it was him vs the Order, but Xykon alone would have been more than a challenge for them.