Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
All the gates' defences are weakened by following the idiosyncrasies of their owners. Although funnily to some degree they all seem to have worked (Xykon *was* defeated at Lirian's gate). The problem really is that each member of the Scribblers only really made the gates secure against a fairly limited type off attack. Anything out of the left fields tends to overcome the defences.

Only Serinis defences are holding for a reasonable time against a determined assualt, and I suspect MitD sabotaging the system is helping. The problem really is that no one way of protecting the gates will keep determined attacker at bay, if a gatekeeper could expect to be supported by thier old comrades... well it'd be a totally differnt ballgame.
This, although the MitD's efforts may be pointless, and they play into one of the ways that the gates are protected. Kragor's Gate is the only one protected by not only brute strength but also magic and trickery, and I wouldn't be shocked if it's the only Gate with some sort of emergency 'warn the others if loss is likely' system.

It's not like Dorukan's Gate was poorly defended, even when past the initial defences Xykon (who as has been established, was level 21+) still couldn't do anything with the Gate he'd claimed. Unlike Soon or Draketooth the defence wasn't about being unable to get to the gate, but rendering it as impossible to use as he could (and also as undiscoverble as possible). It's also possible that the Amulet of Outdated Monsters was there as a distraction, I mean in a world run on narrative rules how likely is it that there are two major artefacts in one dungeon?

Each Gate is poorly warded against some kind of attack, but incredibly strong in another fashion. Dorukan's Gate was arguably better protected than Soon's, as sooner or later an epic level necromancer could overrun Azure City.