View Single Post

Thread: Why was the Dungeon of Dorukan so easy?

1. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Why was the Dungeon of Dorukan so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It's not; I doubt they would have figured out how Lirian accomplished it at all if she hadn't told them.
    I wonder. That's anyone's guess, really, but they would have had a chance knowing their opoonent is a nature-loving hippie, so it's likely some nature-based trick.

The same two Evil people who understood the mindset of Good paladins?
    Please. That was more of a Lawful-Chaotic duo understanding the mindset of a bunch of incredibly stiff Lawful people („a ruse that relies on the target's innate acceptance of the rules presented to him”, in other words, to quote Haley).

No more stupid than Soon not warding his tower against a Great Wyrm dragon. Which is to say, not stupid at all.
    You mean something that, unlike undead (and, as others suggested, non-magical) threats, may or may not even exist in the setting?

Why, it's almost as if all the Gates had "security through obscurity" as an additional measure.
    Mhm. Except Lirian's, who tied hers to some trees and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I disagree, Soon's belief was that "only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable" and so his defenses consisted of the Sapphire Guard both in life and in death. However that very same belief in their infallibility (plus some classism on Soon's part in hiring only nobles) is what corrupted them and caused them to fail in three different ways:

1) Rather than stay focused on what should have been a single-target strike against the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle, the SG embarked in an extermination campaign, and in so doing, created the the main threat to the safety of all Gates.

2) In their desire to appear to be ideal paladins they negelected to capture their ennemy's main asset (the Mantle) so they can humblebrag about it.

3) Miko crippled the defenses of the City and thrusted the leadership of the gaurd to an inexperienced leader in a time of crisis, and later destroyed Soon's Gate even though she was part of its defenses.

Because they were so confident in their "unbreakable honor" they never stopped to consider what the hell they were doing and wether they could be wrong until O-Chul and Shojo reformed them but by then the damage was already done.
    1. Granted, they wer massive jerks and many goblins have reason enough to hate them as fiercely as it gets. However,
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    as far as we know, the Mantle was created not long after D. and L. finished sealing the first Rift,
    amd at any rate, long before the Guard was established and long before the Guard began to go on crusades (both of which happened after the Scribblers disbanded themselves).
    2. I'm yet to read Good Deeds, so I have no answer for that.
    3.„Miko had issues, but
    Spoiler: OOotPC
    Show

were it not for V blowing up his prison by accident, Belkar would not have broken loose and would not have had reason to skip town; were he not looking for a good way to skip town, he wouldn't have ensured Roy will hire him; were he not hired, the Order would have had Good and Neutral members only;
    were it so, Miko would have been much less suspicious of them; in which case she likely would not have gone so far as killing her liege for conspiring with them; in which case things would have turned out otherwise.
    ). It's not Soon's fault that Miko went rogue, and not the Guard's fault, either.”
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-08-07 at 12:50 PM.