View Single Post

Thread: Boccob vs. Nethys vs. Mystra

1. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Boccob vs. Nethys vs. Mystra

As someone already pointed out, Shar opposes Mystra in the FR setting. How she doesn't have Magic in her domains and portfolio is beyond me seeing as how she made her own weave. Keep in mind that the FR setting tends very much to the Opposed Pantheons structure which is highly typical of high fantasy. Likely the main reason Ao allows Mystra to be NG is because Shar has gained significantly in power, and thus needed a cosmological counterweight. So long as Mystra doesn't deny access to the Weave, and maintains/repairs the Weave through her followers, Ao is fine with her pursuing a NG agenda.

As far as liking one over the other, I've always been a fan of Mystra. Many people drawn to fantasy like to play what they perceive to be the best possible version of themselves. As such, they like to play good characters, and be Heroes. The fact that the Greyhawk and Eberon settings have neutral and evil deities of magic aplenty, but the only good deities of magic are minor Elven gods? (Alobal Lorfiril, goddess of revelry, no idea why she has magic as a domain, and Hanali Celanil, goddess of love, beauty, and the arts, who only has magic as a domain because elves view magic as the highest art. Races of the Wild.)

Yes, I see the point of the true neutral penultimate ivory tower intellectual arcanist, but if you are going to have a number of evil deities of magic, shouldn't there be good deities of magic to balance them? Something that's always driven me nuts.
    Last edited by Edivdrone; 2020-08-07 at 11:22 PM.