View Single Post

Thread: Druids, Animal Companions, and Vow Feats

1. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Druids, Animal Companions, and Vow Feats

3 int may be human-like intelligence but the average human has 10 intelligence. For game play purposes 3 int let's the player character stay themselves with penalties. That keeps it simple. For RP purposes it could be used to say that the creature can willingly know it is giving a vow, but not understand it's significance.

Ask if your player is wanting to take a derivative feat down the line. If they aren't I don't see a problem. If they are, suggest that they find a way to boost intelligence at least semi-permanently such as using a headband of intellect. Also, vow of poverty is not a good option for animals as they aren't giving up anything as they are already impoverished. The point and power of a vow is that you are giving something up. If they are wanting to take vow of poverty I would strike it down as simply power gaming.

Oops, I skipped the part about wanting to take class levels. While the creature is a companion it is governed by the rules of companions. It doesn't gain actual HD and therefore can't take class levels unless they set it free from service and awaken it as a cohort or something similar.
    Last edited by Darg; 2020-08-09 at 10:51 AM.