Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
Your insights have always been exquisite, and finally seeing this reach the end has put a mark on my soul that I'll never get off. If I do become popular, this will be the foot stool that propels me. If you don't mind that bit of self agrandization, anyway, hehehe.

Anyway! As I promised... here is an excerpt from Hidden Embers, from chapter one.

Spoiler: Hidden Embers Draft 1.0 teaser
Show
Chloe was waiting for her, just like she said, a shopping bag flung over one arm. She was dressed in a woolen, sky-blue overcoat, undone to show a simple white dress shirt and beige slacks. A red scarf gently wrapped around her neck, loose enough that she could pull it up to her face if needed. Her hair, naturally wavy and gold in colour, hung around her shoulders.
Rounding out her ensemble was the dressing and gauze that covered the right side of her face, from forehead to chin. Even from a distance, Rei could see the faint edges of the dark-red burns and scars. Her right arm down to the finger tips had been burned as well, and while it was harder to see, the bandages still lingered there too.
Rei took a breath, bracing herself for what was about to happen. Chloe saw her and her calm expression broke out into a smile so wide it disappeared into the gauze. Her single eye sparkled like a sapphire.
“Rei!”
Chloe half-rushed over to her, comparable to a brisk jog, and embraced her in a tight, warm hug. If it wasn’t for her own bag of pills, medical information, and washed clothing the nurse had hoisted upon her, Rei would have hugged her back twice as hard. Instead, she just pressed her head gently against Chloe’s.
“Hey, Chloe. How’re you uh, doing?”
She pulled back, and smiled brightly again. Rei almost felt like she should look away. Like seeing her this close wasn’t allowed, not by her. But she couldn’t take her eyes off her.
I’m doing well, Rei. Though, better now that I know you can leave the hospital. You look wonderful by the way… how’re you holding up?”
Her voice was melodic, clear and crisp, with just a hint of haughtiness to it. The concern, the care in her voice- not to mention the hug- made Rei blush a faint red.
“I’m okay, Chloe. Just… you know. A little scarred up. It’s fine, see?” Rei said with a semi-forced chuckle, waving her right hand. A starburst of pink scar-tissue marked both sides of it.
Chloe took her hand with a gentle, slow movement. She looked at it a moment, as if taking it all in herself. Rei was sure she saw her chin waver.
“So,” Rei started. “Um, I like your haircut. It looks nice.”
“Oh- thank you, Rei. I wasn’t sure you’d notice. I figured, with the rest of it growing back in,” she gestured to her face with her bandaged right hand. “I should just cut it short. Keep it even, you know?”
There was a hesitance in what Chloe said. She cared a lot for her appearance- perfect hair, fashionable clothing, expertly applied makeup. Rei could still remember the discarded comb she’d seen in Chloe’s own hospital room weeks ago.
Despite it all she still pulled through, still looked dazzling. Rei felt inadequate next to her; simple burgundy sweatpants and a black t-shirt. They felt like night and day.
And yet you’re still going out with her, after everything.
The thought came and went, like a hot flash. Before she could linger on it, Chloe spoke up again.
“I’m uh, glad you’re okay otherwise. Seeing you all hurt like that was… scary, especially after we’d just made up.”
Rei nodded. “Yeah. It was kinda touch and go for a bit there. Thanks, by the way… for visiting every so often. I think it helped.”
“I mean, it’s the least I could do, Rei,” Chloe gave her an almost dismissive laugh- had it not been for what they both went through a month ago Rei’d have believed it was intentional.
Then she suddenly hitched, as if she remembered something. “Oh, by the way, I brought you this.”
Chloe rummaged through the shopping bag she had with her, pulling out a jacket. Lighter than her own- really more of a windbreaker than an actual overcoat- with a faded red, almost pink colour to the nylon material.
“I uh, bought it for you. Since it’s winter and all. I wasn’t sure if you needed a heavier one since-” Chloe looked around the nearly empty hospital lobby. “-well, you know. I hope that’s okay?”
She was referring to Rei’s pyromancy. The fire in Rei’s veins made it so even the chilly winter seasons of Dulace weren’t that cold. But secret, supernatural flame wasn’t the only thing warming her at the moment. Chloe’s face- what she could see of it- had flushed red.
She’s blushing!
Rei gave her a warm grin, and pulled her into a one-armed hug, catching her off guard. Chloe made an adorable squeaking noise.
“It’s perfect, Chloe. Thanks. So, I guess we’re uh… still on for our uh, date, then?”
She nodded, then broke away from the hug so Rei could throw the jacket on.
“Absolutely! I’m… I’ve really been looking forward to it. We’ve been talking for it awhile, but I never realized it’d happen so quickly.”
Rei nodded in return. “Yeah… I’m not gonna lie Chloe, I’m a little nervous. Five years of barely even talking to each other is a lot of time to make up.”
Chloe linked her right arm with Rei’s left, and held her hand tightly.
“True, but we’ve got the time. So… ready to try again?”
She squeezed Chloe’s hand firmly, and went for the exit.
“Yeah. I’m ready to try again.”
Daaaaw.

There's probably more to say about this but....

Daaaaw.