View Single Post

Thread: Why was the Dungeon of Dorukan so easy?

1. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Why was the Dungeon of Dorukan so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by JBiddles View Post
    Dorukan's Gate was only compromised because he flew into a panic and went out to throw himself at Xykon. If he'd kept his head, he could have cast Limited Wish for a Death Ward and ruined Xykon's whole day. Hell, he could have kicked back and researched Dorukan's Epic Smite Lich or something.

The Gates tend to fail because of a flaw in their guardians. Dorukan's was that for all his intelligence, he couldn't think straight when emotionally provoked.
    This last part is IMO key.

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Personally I don't think Dorukan lost his head or anything. He just took a calculated risk (it was legitimately the only way he could get Lirian back for certain) and lost.
    I agree, in so far he wasn't panicking or something like that. The problem here is that he took the calculated risk at all, and IMO like most wizards overestimated his ability over "a mere sorceror".

He shouldn't have risked the gate, not even for Lirian and he for sure shouldn't blaze out against an lich sorceror. That is one or perhaps the fundemental flaw in Dorukan. When considering protecting gates and not things like being an emotionally balanced human being.

Every single time a wizard has though "wizards are better then sorceror's I can take him" Xykon wins. Because the wizards arne't using the strengths of a wizard and effectively playing Xykons game of strength and brute force.

On another note all the gates seem woefyull weak against actual physical harm. If we consider that the gates are needed to shore up reality Lirian's got torn apart by trees running from fire. Dorukan built a self destruct into the castle. Miko smashed through Soon's gate and Roy whacked Girard's. Most of the defences tried to protect against possession, yet all have fallen to outright destruction instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    I’m referring to the quote about moving the Gates to the outer planes to kill the gods
    I've seen no real impression that this is the case. RC and TDO may think this can happen, I question if they really know anything what they are messing about. TDO clearly isn't too well informed about what is going on since he's not talking to the other gods. Which means that everything we know about TDO's plan, RC supposedly follows and even he hasn't spoken to his god, rests on hearsay. The problem with the entire plan is, that it seems the other gods can just unmake reality before RC and Xykon could complete the ritual.

I can't remember seeing if the other gods are are even worried something like that can happen, obviously they can be blindisded, but seeing how many worlds the gods been through, I kinda suspect TSO knows less than TDO thinks of reality.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-08-10 at 05:50 AM.