Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
ME:A is fine. The writing has rough spots, but the trilogy has those as well. I think the initial bug-ridden launch just knocked off the nostalgia glasses for a lot of people. The development was also hurt by the Frostbite engine being forced on the dev team and Anthem constantly stealing personnel.
I'm not sure the Andromeda story had rough spots so much as it was a giant rough spot. I think it's worth comparing to ME 1 since they're both supposed to be introductions.

In ME1 you are the first human spectre. This establishes that you are highly trained and capable, but you've got a lot to prove and learn still. You have an unsettling vision, fight some alarming space zombies, see a stupid huge ship, and get tasked with investigating. Who you are and what you need to discover is made clear from the get go, what isn't clear us the answer. The only time it cheats is having the player see Saren shoot whatshisface, even though Shepard doesn't.

In Andromeda you get woken up, crash on a planet, shoot some mushroom aliens, see some space magic, and get promoted to Special Person via the sensible method of nearly dying and having a computer plugged into your brain. Then you meet some stupid people, learn there's been a rebellion recently, and get sent to a completely different irradiated desert hellscape. At least to me basically none of this fits together into a coherent whole, or makes me want to see what happens next. I don't have avillson like Saren to dislike, a mystery like Sovereign to investigate, or really much of anything. I'm just going to the place the annoying person told me to because it's the next quest.