Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
On the first two points, I think that showcases the big difference between "Nonviolence features for Violent Characters" vs. "Nonviolent features for Nonviolent Characters", which is that the Nonviolent characters generally don't need an excuse to use their powers. The powers themselves are often tools that can incorporate OTHER tools. I do not need an excuse to use Detect Thoughts, I can make one up. I do not need my DM's permission or scenario to attempt some illusionist tomfoolery.
Yeah, this is the unfortunate result of character archetypes being way too one-dimensional in order to promote character variety. In order to avoid people being upset that you're restricting their roleplay or forcing them to be a certain type of fighter, they just give you the generic fighter that is everyone from Spartacus to Musashi. It's tough to identify nonviolent methods for a character class whose very identity centers around weapons and armor. Illusionists naturally have it easier since there are many nonviolent examples and possibilities that stem from that cookie cutter mold.

One solution to this is separating the skill system from character classes entirely. Allowing character progression in noncombat venues independent of one's combat profession would permit the level of depth and complexity that having generic archetypes seeks to encourage. But that means gutting classes that are primarily skill related and have identities in favor of making the Murder Hobo class slightly less straightforward in his approach. I mean when your primary attribute is Strength every problem is solved with muscles.