Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
I think making broader nonviolent powers for physical niches can be done, I think it just requires a more open mind.

For example, broadening the term "Strength" to include things like Telekinesis, or allowing you to dominate someone's will. Something like a Perception stat would allow you to see an attack coming, see through invisibility, or even see into the future.

I guess it comes down to the classic "Guy At The Gym" problem. If we try to define someone based on our real-life physics, it's going to have problems when there is another option that doesn't have those limitations. Having a "Guy At The Gym" isn't inherently the problem, though, as you can make a game with a bunch of realistic folk in a realistic game.

The problem is, "Real-Life" has inherent limitations, while "Everything that's not Real Life" does not, so it's really silly to try to keep those two options on the same standard. As soon as you start breaking the rules on physics, that has to be the standard.

In a way, MAGIC has to be the standard, or it has to come with so many penalties and problems that players should have a natural aversion to choosing it as an option.
No. That's the wrong way to go. Do not punish players for using the magic you said they could. If you don't want magic in your game, fine, just say so and be done with it. If you are having it, don't have it then discourage players from using it. Let them use it.