1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default [PF2] IC Rise of the Runelords: Chapter 1

OOC Thread

“Welcome! As many of you know, my name is Kendra Deverin, and I am proud to serve as the mayor of Sandpoint. It’s wonderful to see so many of you here to join us on this proud day. I would like to personally extend my welcome to the many new faces I see in the crowd, and I hope you all are enjoying your stay in this fine town. To all of the familiar faces I see today, thank you for participating in our ceremony and doing all you can for this town in recent years. Ah! I see that even Larz Rovanky has torn himself away from his work to join us! It is truly a miracle from Desna herself!” a small chuckle erupts throughout the crowd, and many turn to look at a serious-looking man wearing a sour expression on his face. The mayor waves to him and continues, “Without further ado, let me introduce our sheriff, Belor Hemlock!”

A dour looking man wearing a worn breastplate and longsword stands and walks to the center of the stage. His head is shaved, and his eyes are constantly moving about the crowd. He shakes the mayor's hand and begins to speak, “Thank you Mayor Deverin. Even in the heat of celebration, let us not forget the sad events that brought us to this day five years ago. I would like everyone to join me in a moment of silence to remember those who were lost in the fire that claimed our previous chapel that fateful night,” the sheriff lowers his head, and the crowd joins him, many of them quite awkwardly as the silence persists. After the moment is over, the sheriff raises his head and begins to speak again, “In remembering, let us also not allow these events to repeat themselves. I understand that a bonfire is planned for tonight. I urge you all to observe caution during this event,” the mayor nudges him, and he clears his throat and smiles awkwardly, “And don’t forget to enjoy yourselves. Now, let me introduce the next speaker: Cyrdak Drokkus, proprietor of the local theatre.”

He nods to the crowd and walks back to his chair, passing the next speaker who is already on his way to center stage. In quite a contrast to the Sheriff: this man is brightly dressed, sports a well-groomed goatee, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying the day. As he reaches the center stage, he loosens his collar a bit, winks into the crowd, and starts to talk, “Thank you for that uplifting oratory! Now, I know this town has been through some hard times, but look at what we've accomplished!”, he motions towards the church, “And I'm telling you, they spared no expense with this place. Father Zantus' chamber pot? Solid gold, I kid you not. Our generous nobles put a pretty into the construction of this joint. I even heard a rumor that the Gods themselves scrounged up four gold pieces to help build this thing! But don't take it from me! Father Zantus over here is the one with the direct line; he's the one you want to hear from! Before I let him start the festival, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my personal invitation to each and every one of you for my new production of The Harpy's Curse, starring the world-famous Allishanda! It'll premier tomorrow evening at the Sandpoint Theatre, and it is going to be fabulous! Now, join me in applause for his holiness himself, Father Zantus!”

The crowd cheers as Cyrdak motions the priest to the center stage. The young priest is noticeably abashed at the reception set up for him. He wears the traditional ceremonial robes of Desna and a silver holy symbol about his neck. He smiles and tries to calm the crowd down, eventually speaking when the applause has subsided, “Ahem. Thank you Cyrdak, and thank all of you for coming to join us on this most holy day! Today is a day of new beginnings, so without boring you with a long speech, I declare the Swallowtail Festival officially underway!”

Before a late lunch, various festival events are being held. You may perform in as many or as little as you want. The prize for winning is a simple wooden trophy with your name carved into it, and bragging rights, of course.

Spoiler: Festival Games
    Show
    Game of Hide and Seek
    Contestants must choose to hide or seek; they cannot do both. Hiders make a Stealth check to hide, and seekers make an opposed Perception check for every hider. Seekers search the town for good spots once and use the same bonus for all their rolls.
    Both hiders and seekers may make a DC 10 Sandpoint Lore check to find a good spot to hide/look. For every two points above the DC, contestants gain a +1 bonus to their check. Contestants may look again, but doing so increases the DC by two every time. Contestants use the best bonus when making their hide/seek check.

Weight Lifting Challenge
    Contestants make a DC 15 Strength check to initially pick up the weights, then they compete to be the last one standing. Starting at DC 10 and increasing by two every round, contestants make a Strength check to hold the weights. If they fail the Strength check, they may make a Constitution check using the same DC to endure the weight for one more round.
    After failing the Constitution check, or one round after succeeding the Constitution check, the contestant drops the weight to the ground.

Balance Beam Contest
    Each contestant performs three tricks, and their final score is the sum of their two highest scoring tricks.
    Contestants first decide how many points their trick is worth, then make an Acrobatics check to execute the trick. The DC is 10 + 2 for every point the trick is worth. If contestants fail their Acrobatics check by five or more, they fall into the water below and are disqualified.
    After executing a trick, contestants make a DC 10 visual Performance check to determine how well their trick was executed. For every two points above the DC, the contestant gains one bonus point for that trick.

Tug of War Event
    Contestants must choose one of two teams to join for the event, and each team must choose a leader; the other contestants are called supporters.
    Each round, the leaders make opposed Strength checks, including their special size modifier (-1 for Small, +0 for Medium) in the roll. The supporters make either a DC 10 Strength check to help pull or Charisma check to motivate their team. For every two points above the DC, the leader gains a +1 bonus to their roll.
    The leader that wins the check pulls the opposing team toward the center by one foot plus one for every five points above the opposing roll. The first team to be pulled three feet toward the center loses.
    Last edited by Faolan7; 2020-08-16 at 10:11 AM.