View Single Post

Thread: Star Trek: Lower Decks

1. - Top - End - #96
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Oh, I'm not denying that DS9's premise made for interesting stories (Sisko's unenviable position of having to serve at least two masters was unique in the annals of Star Trek) - but that's honestly besides the point I was making. My point was that DS9 had a very reasonable premise for its own ship's discord and the often open antagonism that resulted between its main cast members beyond what we'd normally see on a Federation vessel. The Cerritos' only real excuse is to enable Mariner's Bugs Bunny antics - which feel out of place in a show that is also trying to insert as much Trek seriousness as it is too.
    Imean, Voyager had half the crew be secessionists from the Federation who attempted mutiny on at least one occasion and had massive behavioral problems. They got resolved, but given that we're all of two episodes into LD and it's getting blasted for that, I hardly think those complaints are terribly fair.

I do agree with you on the failings of parody and comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'll be first to admit I'm not the biggest TOS buff, but I'd say the big difference here is that McCoy is generally portrayed as being in the wrong when he antagonizes like that. Mariner has not only evaded any kind of negative opinion about her thus far, the show seems to be going out of its way to portray her as just and right for her attitude towards Boimler, which vacillates between merely patronizing/disdainful and actively malicious depending on the bit of plot that needs to happen next.
    That wasn't a great example you linked, since Bones was proven correct in, like, the very next scene. And, more to the point, he was generally portrayed as being correct, to the point that many of his jabs closing out the episode and pointedly noting that the pure human ways were how they solved the plot of the week (Spock's rejoinders tended to be more for comedic effect, even if they did have points).

ETA: I do feel a bit bad here as I have you at a definite disadvantage; TOS is my favorite. Hell, just now I decided to put it on as background noise while I do other stuff, because why not?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-20 at 05:49 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2