Astraea:
Kinita says
"Pretty sure I'm pure kitsune."
Astraea nervously says
"Uuuuhh...I don't know what your talking about..."
She lies badly. Kinita raises an eyebrow
"Really? Care to explain why your snakes are very large?"
"What? Can't I just be big-snaked?"
"Pretty sure if that genetic condition was stable and not unique, we'd hear about big five snaked gorgons in myth."
"Oh come on, its not as if myths are entirely accurate about everything, what do myths get everything right about kitsune?"
"....Not....entirely.....But given that gorgons are actual people who exist I'm pretty sure we'd hear about some having a similar condition to yours. You have snakes that can rival Doc Ock's robot arms in size...I think people would remember that."
"Oh come on, what you think I'm the mutant? Thats a human thing right? I'm a gorgon not a human."
"Yes, but they still reproduce with humans since they're all female, and that armor is amazonian. I've heard amazons have this pretty strict custom about how they can't have men on their island, and I imagine that needs some pretty screwed up ways of getting around that custom to continue the society...so if your father was a mutant, well you wouldn't have met him, would you?"
"...Oh shut up."
"Hehehe, yeah Astraea is definitely the mutant."
"Okay fine, I have a few weird powers most gorgons don't and I don't know where they came from okay? I just....use them cause I can. I'm not actually sure. Its not as if fathers are important after all."
Yeah being taught that only women matter on an isolated island full of nothing but warrior women would probably give someone that belief.