Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
I actually liked Snape (the little I saw of him in two movies, and not just because it's Alan Rickman, although that was reason enough). He's only an antagonist because he insists on Potter following the same rules as everyone else and doing the work, which Potter doesn't seem to think he should have to. That was my impression anyway. But the books and the films are written so that Harry, the protagonist, is of course right and the teachers are wrong- since it is a kids' series after all. But it grinds on anyone who thinks reality should ensue and see the little bugger kicked out on his ear.
Well, not really in the books. Snape there is an antagonist because he actively bullies students that do not belong to his favored house, like poor Neville, and promotes his favored students, like Draco Malfoy, at every opportunity. He is actively malicious, not just someone trying to follow the rules.
He hates Harry from the first sight of him. Later he also resents him for getting away with constant rulebreaking, but he was determined to never like Harry Potter, the son of his hated enemy and rival James, from the start.
That said, he is not a villain. He hates Harry and would love to see him be expelled, but he also saves his life on many occasions (and occasionally vice versa) and eventually accepts that Harry is necessary to defeating Voldemort.