Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
There's a tumblr post about this. Kinda. Less 'mercenary', more... super soldiers.
There's truth to that.

I had to deal with all of that on sorta-kinda a professional level. When growing up, my country still had mandatory conscription, so I was trained as a field medic. I had the misfortune that after decades of peace, my country entered into a war, providing logistics and medical service to their allies, so it was off to the front. After my tour of duty, besides a regular civilian job in advertisement/IT, I volunteered for technical rescue service, which is basically the support unit for more specialized services like fire fighters and such. Beyond that, I got my hunting license, a thing that is quite hard in my country because you need to be half an animal doctor in the first place....

Itīs a case of "you have to have witnessed it to believe it". In a sense, humans are anything but fragile. The level of damage and hurt a human body can sustain and still be alive ist simply just astonishing. Couple that with a brain that is capable of at least trying to solve the drawbacks of permanent injury.