1. - Top - End - #1497
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #35: 3/2 Score And Four Threads Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    The description on potions says that they are "like spells cast upon the imbiber," with the imbiber being designated both the caster and target for the purposes of the spell.
    The general description of scrolls describes them as "basically like casting a spell," and that spells activated from a scroll "work exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way."
    Wands and staves both include the phrase, "casting a spell from a [wand/staff] is usually a standard action," which leaves basically zero ambiguity that it is a spell being cast.

All three appear to function as though the user is actually casting a spell.
    Interesting, but please note that "works like", "basically like" and "appear to function as though" still doesn't equate precisely to "casting a spell".

Drinking a potion isn't casting a spell, it's consuming a use-activated item.

Activating a wand isn't casting a spell, it's using a spell trigger item.

Reading a scroll isn't casting a spell, it's using a spell completion item.

My full counter will be another question:

Q 701

A) If a wizard drinks a potion, then casts the spell mnemonic enhancer the next round, does the spell contained in the potion will be "restored to his mind" and thus prepared for the next 24 hours?

B) If a wizard activates a scroll, then cast mage's lucubration the same day, is the spell that was written on the scroll "restored to his mind" and thus prepared and ready to be cast?

C) Even, in either case, if said spell is not on his spell list, not an arcane spell, or too high level for him?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2020-09-07 at 04:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature