Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
Except you just admitted an example of when it did. You weren't playing a character concept, despite liking the sound of it, because hobgoblins don't get wisdom. Optimization doesn't maker you roleplay your character worse, I believe that part, but it does negate roleplaying if it prevents you from choosing the character to begin with.
Ah, but you assume that's the only character I am waiting to build.

No lie, I have a witness to prove it (Paging DracoKnight), I've workshopped well over... Goodness, a hundred would be a conservative estimation... Over a hundred different builds. The military commander Hobgoblin was class and subclass agnostic. There'd be a few ways to do that, among them are Order Domain Cleric, Dirgesinger (From Exploring Eberron) Bard, and you can argue Chronurgist Wizard. Battlemaster Fighter is arguable, but IMO doesn't fit the bill for what I'm looking to do. If I don't have something which is perfect for a build, I shelve it, typically waiting until the perfect one comes along.

Now I don't have to wait.

And while those builds were shelved, I would workshop other builds. And play them. Like my current PC, a Kobold Ranger, the Outlaw Josey Scales.

And I have played many, many characters which were 'suboptimal'. My Eladrin Tempest Cleric named Serge saw a lot of play during our CoS campaign until he sacrificed himself to save a party member. As a Spring Eladrin, he left off a cliff a party member fell off of, and grabbed their hand before triggering his Fey Step, teleporting to safety before plummeting to his demise.

Eladrins get no sort of bonus to Wisdom or Con (Since they can use Heavy Armor, I assume we agree those would be the most optimal stats?) and I played him for... Hm... Roughly six months or so of weekly sessions.