1. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Fyraltari watches The Clone Wars (2008) for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    One thing i dont really get is what value occupying Mandalore actually has for either the Republic or the Separatists. Theyre a neutral system, so they arent really critical to either side's war effort, the acting government are pacifists and they nominally dont have an army, they they cant really be useful for marching to war, and Death Watch already seems to be siding with the separatists, so to the extent that they can help with the war effort, theyre already basically doing so. The resources needed for a military occupation of Mandalore would greatly outweigh the support Death Watch alone would give if they went off world as well, so whats actually the goal here?
    1) It's an industrialized planet with a large population, economically that's a big boost.

2) IIRC, Mandalore's martial culture is pretty ingrained. Even if the Pacifist movement got most people to put away their blasters, and they don't have much of a standing army, they probably have a sizable number of experienced combatants that could be mobilized.

But mostly it's Star Wars and things don't make that much sense.

RE: Mandalorian Pacifism,

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC (and checking Wookiepedia)

There was the "New Mandalorian Movement", which was an anti-militaristic reform movement, but not strictly Pacifist, just seeking to move Mandalore away from it's traditional martial culture. When Satine became Duchess, she aligned her government with the New Mandalorians.

This led to a brutal civil war, which the reformists won. However, witnessing the death and violence of that conflict turned Satine into a Pacifist, which was a step beyond the New Mandalorians.

So, Satine was a pacifist, but many people in her government (And the people who fought the civil war on her behalf) were probably not Pacifists, and may have bridled as Satine went beyond "We should stop glorifying warfare" to "Violence is always bad and we must reject it in all it's forms".

By "Exiled the Warriors", they seem to be referring to the losing side in the civil war, rather than "Everybody who can fight". The people who refused to get in line behind the New Mandalorian reforms.
    Last edited by BRC; 2020-09-17 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]