Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
Alternativly this will be a varient rule that is never touched again, at least for the rest of 5e's run. I feel state bonuses are too ingrained into D&D 5e for them to want to change anything. The actual erata to the PHB has been minor, making this rule official and then removing racial state bonus to replace them with a +2/+1 assigned as you please would not feel as minor, even if in practice it basically was.
They've moved away from how constrained class choices were, they've largely moved away from stat minuses (for core races; I suspect these will be gone for others eventually, too), and they've removed age categories having an impact on stats. Things have changed rather a lot since 2e. The races are much more alike now than they once were. I don't doubt for one second they will take this further in subsequent books and editions if it plays well.

They aren't going to errata the 5e books; but they might release a 5.5e.

Which is fine; 5e will still be there for the people that want it.

So long as "Orc Smash!" is part of the baked-in traits for the race and Drow society is evil in one of the flagship settings, people have an argument to make. I suspect they will make that argument; and ultimately sales will tell the tale.

I suspect these tweaks are nowhere near done, and that they will be highly central to new DnD products.