View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1215 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1215 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Perhaps someone with better LOTR knowledge will correct me on this, but Aragorn saving Faramir and Eowyn was a magical feat, as previously Aragorn had been unable to heal Frodos wound from the Morgul Blade (Faramir was hit by a Black Dart, while Eowyn was hit with the Black Breath as the Witch-King died (I can't remember if Merry made his save against it because of his Hobbit nature)) with herblore, only delay the poison.
    Faramir was hit by a regular arrow (which may or may not have been poinsoned). Wounds that are left alone for a long time get pretty bad. What is a Black Dart even supposed to be?
    Not that the idea of the Black Riders playing darts on their down time isn’t a hilarious one.

Merry also got a bad case of the Black Breath and needed Aragorn’s help.

Its further explained that Aragorn can cast magic thanks to his elvish blood. Tolkien made clear regular humans (and possibly hobbits) couldn't learn spells.
    Humans can cast spell: the Mouth of Sauron is described as a sorcerer and Beorn can change into a bear. Hobbits can also disappear much better than humans can. What is and isn’t magic seems to be a cultural thing on Middle-Earth but it seems every people has access to some supernatural ability.
    Also Beren straight up chats with a ghost once.

Saying that I disliked the Aragorn/Denethor dynamic in the story (the guy who spent his life in the wilderness is a better ruler than the guy who spent his life ruling a land under siege thanks to innate nobility).
    Aragorn was raised by Lord Elrond (and his mother who was « queen » of the Rangers) he also spent a lot of time as a captain under Theoden’s and Denethor’s fathers before being leader of the Rangers so it’s not like he’s got zero experience. Also Denethor wasn’t a bad ruler, just a bad father.

Sounds kinda Tarquiny to me. Tarquinesque?
    I’d take Tarquin over Tywin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tarquin broke Haley’s Hand. Tywin has Tysha gang-raped and forced his son to participate.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-09-25 at 01:46 PM.