1. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Am I wrong to worry about real life interfering with OotS? Is it "entitlement?"

Authors don't really owe their readers anything. If they make commitments to their fandom then it would be nice if they fulfilled those commitments, but it's not a legal contract or anything.
    It is a bit ghoulish to ask an author "hey, have you thought about who will finish your story if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?" It's not really a fan's place to ask this. If an author has serious health concerns, it's up to him or her to tell his or her fans "yes, I have contingencies in place." Or even, "no, I won't trust this to anyone else. If I die, the work will never be completed, sorry."

Is it entitlement to think an author does owe you something, as a fan? I guess that depends on what you mean by "entitlement". Telling George R.R. Martin that he should have a panic button installed to alert the internet forums that he's having a health issue is a good example of going too far, I think.

I think its very easy for fans to feel like they know an author when they really don't know them at all, only their work. I hope the authors that I have met at cons (Terry Pratchett, Alan Dean Foster, Brandon Sanderson, and Timothy Zahn to name a few) have all appreciated my telling them that I enjoyed their work. I was making a distinct effort to not fanboy too much over them when I met them face-to-face.

You can always support the author of a work by buying it. The .pdfs and print books all include stuff that's not on the webcomic. I think buying an author's work is probably almost as appreciated as reading it.
    Last edited by Jason; 2020-09-27 at 03:00 PM.