1. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Am I wrong to worry about real life interfering with OotS? Is it "entitlement?"

Quote Originally Posted by caltino View Post
    Reading OotS is different than anything I have done before (reading wise): I have been following the comic for more than 11 years now. There's a sense of investment that I don't feel with reading any trade comics, books, tv shows, etc.

When real life things happen, like Erfworld shutting down and Rich had his accident with his hand, I worry about the comic. (The reason could be anything and not necessarily somber. Maybe Rich wins the lottery or becomes lead developer of next DnD edition.)

I wonder if it could just suddenly stop one day and we would never know anything else about these characters and to what ends their adventure was taking them. I hope to myself that maybe some other people know the outlines of the story, kind of like what happened with half life 3, albeit years later.

Of course, real life being what it is, nothing is absolutely safe. Any show or periodical you have been following for years can stop suddenly for whatever reason, but in most cases there is an enterprise around them that may be able to provide some continuation or at least closure, in a sense.

My question here is, is it wrong for me to be wondering if there are some contingency plans in place to take care of the long time readers of the comic? Is that some entitlement that readers are not deserving, or could one call us a partner/stakeholder in this journey, even though our contribution is purely consumption. Maybe we help make the comic exist by providing an audience, but I am not even sure of that since OotS maybe would have been written anyway, even without a following.

I know that in many instances things have happened such that the consumers/followers/fans/etc have been completely ignored. And if your answer is "in real life it happens all the time, don't expect anything else" then OK, I get it. But I am looking more for a discussion on thoughts for our case here and what is reasonable.
    There's a statistically very similar chance that the dreaded "something" will happen to you and you will never get to finish reading the story. And that chance, those odds, are far more actionable for you than what happens in The Giant's life. Focus on your side of the equation bro.
    Last edited by Lombard; 2020-09-27 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typ