View Single Post

Thread: List of tweaks I would make

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default List of tweaks I would make

This is a list of changes I would make. They're mostly small ones. I'll add more as I think of them. Let me know if any of them are too bonkers!

I'm editing this list as I go along.

RACES
    • Dragonborn have Darkvision.
    • Dragonborn breath weapon DC can be based on Con, Cha, or Str - your choice at creation.
    • Dragonborn breath weapon is a bonus action.

FEATS
    • Tough includes the second benefit from Durable, which is itself removed.
    • Elven Accuracy instead allows you to retain Inspiration after spending it, once/rest.
    • Savage Attacker instead always has you roll an extra weapon damage die, drop lowest.
    • Shield Master also gives you proficiency in using shields as an improvised weapon.
    • Skilled adds +1 to any ability score.
    • Weapon Master instead allows you to draw and sheathe weapons as a free action, and gives you proficiency in throwing melee weapons without the Thrown tag, which deal their normal damage instead of 1d4.
    • Keen Mind includes the languages and ciphers from Linguist, which is itself removed.
    • Charger no longer requires you to Dash as an action nor move >10 feet specifically. Instead, whenever you move at least half your speed toward an enemy in a straight line and then take the Attack action against that enemy, you can add +5 damage to the first attack that hits and you can also replace one of the attacks with a Shove with Advantage on your roll. (Obviously if you only have one attack then you can only get one of these.) You can use no more of your Movement on your turn after doing this.

COMBAT
    • Donning or doffing a shield is an object interaction.
    • You can fire a light or heavy crossbow one handed if it is loaded. You have Disadvantage and can only fire out to short range.
    • Shields count as weapons for the purposes of two-weapon fighting (you'll still need proficiency from somewhere).
    • Throwables and splash weapons from the PHB that are normally thrown as an Action can instead be thrown as any attack. They have the Finesse and Light weapon tags.

Some notes on implications
    The changes to shields, Weapon Master, and splash weapons makes using splash weapons much easier, which I think is positive as I've never seen them used: they're too expensive for 1st level and not good enough past that. As well, together, they should hopefully give some slightly more dynamic combats for weapon-users.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-10-03 at 09:01 AM.