Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
I was thinking more about "investigating a site/looking for loot/etc" where you're mostly immobile. Or waiting for the rogue to do some scouting ahead while everyone else hangs back. Because overland travelling, in my experience, rarely has enough back-to-back encounters to need short rests.

But my guess (and it's only a guess) is that the devs considered everyone to benefit from SR due to HP depletion (and needing to spend HD). Plus the whole "we're a team, so if the warlock says 'hey guys, I'm running low, can we stop for a bit' they'll do it even if they don't gain anything" mentality. But when out-of-combat healing (cf healing spirit, aura of vitality) is big enough to cover without needing to spend HD, that breaks down. A potential stop-gap solution is for DMs to not focus fire. Spread the damage, so everyone feels like a SR gives them something. As well as build adventure sites that provide opportunities to SR, but not to LR on most days. Not the most elegant solution, but it works. Honestly, I've not had issues with this because the players work together--even if one doesn't need it, that lets them scout|investigate|stand guard|whatever while the others take their SR.
If the party is stationary whilst the Rogue scouts then I'd have no issue with it (personally I've never been in a party or DM'd one where one or two characters scouted ahead alone for anywhere near that period of time). Investigating an area or looking for loot doesn't seem like rest to me though, personal preferences.