View Single Post

Thread: What alignment is Oona?

1. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What alignment is Oona?

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Classifying people is a pretty dumb idea, yeah, but the OP was referring to that because Oona possessed several traits ( that are usually seen as good, such as caring for others or the community) she somehow was neutral.

I guess I'd like to revise my stance, then; I am unsure (and I don't think) there are inherently good traits, but love and compassion are not necessarily inherently good ones. The same goes for typically-viewed-as-evil traits; malice or hatred are not necessarily inherently evil ones either.

I named a broad one that I think can encompass a lot of other traits. Someone who has compassion and respect for all sentient lives embodies a lot of 'good' traits as well (empathy, understanding, selflessness, etc). I did mention a change of thought, in that yes, there's not really a concrete example of an inherently good trait.
    Multiple things I disagree with here. Those being love and compassion being not inherently good and malice not being inherently evil. Though I do agree about hatred not necessarily being evil, as a hatred of evil would logically be a good hatred to have.

But anyway:

1. The very definition of "malice" is "the desire to do evil". It cannot not be evil.

2. I think you've confused kindness with compassion. Kindness isn't necessarily good or evil. An evil person understands the value of kindness, so far as it extends to loyalty from those being treated kindly. Compassion, on the other hand, requires empathy for the plight of others, which stands directly in opposition with the total selfishness of evil. A kind person will donate to a cause and feel good about the donation. A compassionate person will donate and feel guilty that they were unable to help more.

3. I'm just going to quote myself on love here. Love cannot be evil. If the love appears to be evil, then it is not love, but some other emotion, whether it be pity, or lust, or pride, etc., masquerading as love.
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    And her Good acts are motivated by love for another, which we have never seen be a motive for an Evil character in-comic, at least not without it starting to pull them away from Evil, as with Belkar and MitD (platonic love in these cases, but love nonetheless). Tsukiko was driven by lust, before you mention her. Even Redcloak isn't motivated by love. He's motivated by pride and the sunk-cost fallacy while deluding himself that it's out of love for his brother and for goblinkind as a whole, a point Minrah most helpfully shouted at him in their most recent encounter.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2020-10-03 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Typo