Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
Larian's brand of humor honestly doesn't bother me, or it wouldn't if I didn't find their games janky and annoying regardless of that. But I do certainly find it different than Baldur's Gate goofy humor, for better or worse. I hesitate to say I prefer Baldur's Gate's, because I know it's tinged by nostalgia. I was mostly protesting what I felt was aimlessly edgy commentary from warty goblin.
I have to say, aimlessly edgy is the best piece of shade anybody has ever thrown my way, thanks!

(Not even joking, it's genuinely fantastic. Excellent name for a punk rock band made up entirely of upper class suburban kids as well.)

For the sake of clarity, I'm not even really holding that bit of rather pedestrian analysis against fantasy RPGs. I like fantasy RPGs, but at some point I realized taking them 100% seriously was a mistake that led to tremendous joylessness. You can probably excise most of the grimness*, but the goofiness is rather baked in. And if nothing else, stacking the grim and the goofy in close proximity gives things a certain tonal unpredictability I rather enjoy. For instance there's a cave somewhere in Divinity 2, where you cut from a rather miserable story about a dying dragon, to a ridiculously horny treasure chest in the space of about 45 seconds. Keeps things lively.

*And in a lot of cases I wish developers would. I'm honestly a bit weary of it. Yes it's good in the Witcher, and I like it there, but not everything needs to be the Witcher.

Also, now I have a vague urge to play Divinity 2 again. More games should let you turn into dragons on the regular.