1. - Top - End - #143
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I guess I can see it as "Everybody is just kind of awkward around her"

The Cerritos and crew earned their victory, it was great. Then the show puts them back into danger so they can get DEM'd out of it.

I'm not actually opposed to the occasional DEM, but it was the combo of invalidating the cast's hard-won victory, then having the USS Cameo show up to invalidate the invalidation of the victory.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it qualifies as a DEM. They specifically said earlier the Titan was also in range to respond to the distress call, so their appearance at the end wasn't out of the blue. The Cerritos did defeat the original Pakled ship, so I'm calling it a win for them even if they needed saving in the end. I agree it took a bit of the victory away though. A mention during the crisis that the Titan was on the way and they just needed to hang on until their arrival might have helped.

Some thoughts:

-Freeman coming out as a strong Captain for once. She seemed quite a bit more on the ball than usual. I like that she quickly realized what likely happened to the Solvang and avoided it.

-I'll admit I got some laughs out of the Landru follow-up (especially love that the log entry showed TAS Kirk), but I don't like the suggestion that they'll focus on following up older Trek episodes. We will see I guess.

-ILL MISS SHAXS!!! Went out like a bad-ass though. Character really grew on me over time and I'm sorry to see him go. At least the Worf effect didn't get him.

-Ransom had his moments over the season, but I think after all is done he's probably my least favorite character at this point. I know he's the Kirk/Riker pastiche, but here he just seemed like a potential harassment lawsuit in the making.

-The Titan looked cool. I'm not sure if it had an official look before this episode, but I liked the class of ship.

-I'm not sure why, but the existence of Wolf 359 truthers depresses me.

-I guess we have a solid timeframe for the series now. After Nemesis, but well before Picard.

-Why don't they have weapons lockers on the bridge? I don't recall earlier shows having them either, but it really makes no sense that they had to abandon the bridge to the invaders to arm themselves. Shouldn't security at least be armed?

-Very interesting end to the season, and if this had been a series finale it would have been a satisfying one. Nice to see Bradward get his promotion and a spot on the Titan, I'd hate to see that reversed in season 2, but I'd also miss the character. Rutherford didn't really have much development to reset, so his memory wipe came off as kind of hollow. It would be interesting to see Mariner work more closely with the bridge, I'm hoping to get more to the bottom of her issues with rank. Mostly I'm just hoping the reset button doesn't get punched in the next episode.

-Looks like this has been renewed, so after a promising season one, looking forward to Season II: The Wrath of Badgey
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-10-09 at 12:37 AM.