Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
Apparently, short rests don't happen after every encounter, as I've heard - either my information was wrong or it was changed during development. You get one short rest before a long rest. This doesn't sound very good. I was already worried that long rest abilities would be stronger because in a video game, you can rest as much as you want.

And now it turns out short rest abilities operate on an only slightly less restricted timetable. If something does happen to restrict long rests, it will hit short rests too.
As someone who is playing the game I can say that yeah, short rest is just a button. I've never actually hit it (really should I play a Warlock...) but I have hist Long Rest, and I'm actually not sure resting as as free as you think. I've long rested once, and there was a minor scene of Astarian going off as we slept, and the next morning we found the pig he vampirize. That implies that Long Rests do change the world when they happen- we have no reason to believe they won't have a time tracker for certain things.

Additionally you can find fountains that let you heal you restable resources and healing.