Quote Originally Posted by Inle-rah View Post
So, I had a dream about how this whole confrontation ends for Durkon. It was an anxiety dream, so it's not a happy ending.

Durkon and Minrah jump out of the floor and leave the canyon in a hurry, with a breather strip about their dynamic as they try to get away. (I don't know if "Greater Invisibility Sphere" is a spell, and if if is, it's almost certainly not a cleric spell, but it"s involved on the escape.) They run into Xykon, who explains that he has some permanent form of detect magic or something and so noticed them in the stone. (We did recently have a panel of V talking about magical residue.) He then proceeds to give a long villain speech, where the camera is zoomed in on him and we can see Durkon out-of-focus in the background, backing away. (Somehow, Xykon's face and Durkon are both in the shot.) At one point, he walks past Minrah's charred corpse, briefly in shot; Xykon is casting at them while he speaks, and has killed her. Xykon says that Durkon has earned something special, though, and in the last panel, Xykon casts Familicide on him.

Now, I don't *really* expect this to happen; anxiety dreams just be like that. It hit me like a sack of wet mice, though, because the last book explains at length a) how important Durkon's family is to him, and b) how bad it would be for a large number of dwarves to die without reason.

Of course, Durkon's definition of family is not limited to blood relations, which would confuse the emotional impact for the reader, but it still feels like plenty of a gut punch, especially with regard to Durkon's new son. It would also trigger a new round of discussions about how familicide works, which from my long-term lurking of this forum, I can guess would be a fun time.

How Xykon would actually have this spell is an unanswered question, but the IFCC is up to something, clearly, and there was that line about sending someone to collect Haerta way back when; maybe they didn't finish that job, and the IFCC either planned it or didn't think it was that important.

Regardless, while I don't think this would really happen, I'm still left wondering about it. What do y'all think?

TL;DR: I don't want Durkon to have a bad ending, but an anxiety dream said he did, involving Familicide.
Ah yes, let's negate the ENTIRE last story arc for no reason whatsoever.