Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
It is. Which is why it will never be mainstream.
Game of Thrones is too violent. The Witcher is too confusing. The Mandalorian is just right.

That's what you're looking for.

First 40K book I ever read was Draco (The Inquisition War) - and I went 'backwards' and read Space Marine very soon after - and I remember it still (perhaps more accurately, I'm scarred for life... ). What's your point?

I think you could adapt Czevak's story (Atlas Infernal) pretty easily:

Indiana Jones-in-Powered Armour with a memetic-virus (read; Hollywood!Autism), and uncovers a Book on some planet with his ensemble crew (which includes a Space Marine Techmarine, who can espouse technobabble, who is akin to Beast, of X-Men, who is both strong and smart, depending on what's required. The exact same impetus that encourages nerds to take up ju-jitsu [like I did].).
Skeletor-in-Power Armour Ahriman wants the book.
Space Clowns attempt to both help and hinder Czevak, whilst only hindering Ahriman.
Since Czevak's meme-brain (read; Hollywood!Autism) has allowed him to both read and/or memorise the Atlas Infernal. Acquiring the Book, is Plan A. But since Ahriman can't read it, and it keeps changing so he can't memorise either, capturing Czevak is Plan B.
Game of Thrones and the Witcher are both highly successful. The former so much so that pretty much everyone at my work has seen it. It is almost the definition of being in the main stream.

My point is that Gaunt's Ghosts is a good way to ease someone into 40K. It's a very relatable story that does slowly introduce more and more crazy 40K stuff as the series goes on. Most importantly, it is well written.

Atlas Infernal really assumes you already know a bunch of 40K lore. Though it is a good story.