View Single Post

Thread: What alignment is Oona?

1. - Top - End - #238
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What alignment is Oona?

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Evil doesn't mean "brutally lusts for blood at every expense." It just means you're willing to hurt or see hurt people for bad or no reason.
    Getting the food necessary to survive is not a bad reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Like if I went to the grocery store and happened to murder someone unprovoked you would consider me neutral?
    Is your only other source of food a horrible cave full of dangerous monsters that can easily kill you and will you starve otherwise? Then yes, that's neutral.
    Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Yeah, but there's also traits that, while are found in good people very often (loving other people, being brave, caring for pets or children), don't make an evil person somehow convert into neutral/good.

I can't pin down what is a "inherently good trait", but the closest I can come up with is "compassion and respect for the lives and dignities of other people," which Oona, Belkar, Hilgya, Jirix, and Malack definitely don't possess.
    What? Oona respects the lives of Greyview, MitD, and Redcloak. Dignity is entirely irrelevant, especially in an arctic wasteland where you have to do certain things in order to survive. Just because her version of respect is different from ours doesn't make it any less valid. Now, I know this is a long shot, but her speech about how beasts must serve their masters could possibly be taken as "If you do not wish to serve your master, find a new one, or become your own master", which is a harsher version of O-Chul's lesson about the value of friends and their influence on you.

I've got a quote somewhere on these forums, but love and compassion are inherently good traits. Compassion requires empathy, which is definitely against the selfish nature of Evil. And you can't have "love for others" as a motive without it starting to turn you away from Evil, which I believe applies to our Miss Oona here, as her clan and that is one of her main motivations for her actions. Yes, Nale and Sabine did love each other and were Evil, but their love for each other was not a motive for either of their goals.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2020-10-10 at 09:51 AM.