Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
At the end of Die, Vecna Die! she restructured the entire order of the multiverse as the official canon reason for the tradition to 3e rules from 2e. If she has the power to change the underlying mechanics of the universe, across all the Inner and Outer planes, I'm pretty sure she's able to smite a worshipper outside of Sigil.
Note: events of Die, Vecna Die! weren't accepted by certain part of Planescape fans: for them, it's Planescape version of Elseworlds
But otherwise - OK...

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
Oh, and there was that time when she just straight-up murdered Aoskar despite (like every other deity) Aoskar being unable to enter the Cage.

If she can kill a god on his home plane without warning or notice, odds are she can do the same for mortals trying to worship her outside Sigil.
Yes, Aoskar's story is rather interesting...

But I found one more (unexpected) point in favor of my interpretation:
The Lady of Pain is one of the primary figures of the Planescape campaign setting. She is an immensely powerful being who protects the city of Sigil from outside forces. Despite being at least as powerful as any known deity, she accepts no followers and is known to respond to those who try to worship her with extreme violence (although strangely, not people who worship her in secret. There is at least one person in Sigil who secretly is a petitioner of The Lady whom she hasn't destroyed). While most Cagers don't like to invoke her name lightly, the phrase "Her Serenity" is commonly used to refer to the Lady of Pain.