View Single Post

Thread: Why is creating undead Evil?

1. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Why is creating undead Evil?

And Tyr's "undead paladin" Miltiades had a purpose - fulfil the task he couldn't fulfil in life. After he fulfils it, Tyr lets him pass on to the afterlife - at least till Tyr needs him again.

The way archliches respond to the negative energy of a Rebuke attempt - it can Turn them, or even Destroy them if the rebuker is high enough level - is identical to the way Deathless respond to that Rebuke attempt.

Hence the theory that they're only undead because they're early 3.0 - had they been properly updated into the context of 3.5's BOED, they'd be Deathless.

If you do go by RAW though - you need to be able to explain why they're so vulnerable to negative energy, at least in that particular form. Possibly they're suffused with holy energy, and a Rebuke Undead attempt, being a mix of unholy energy and negative energy, disrupts it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Again, no one said that it forced an alignment change. Just that -by the RAW- it is, immutably, an Evil act to do it.
    "One of the most heinous crimes that can be committed" is somewhat in alignment-change territory. Just like destroying souls, which is described as something that only evil people are ever willing to do.

Hence people complaining that a Good undead must destroy themselves or change alignment to Neutral or Evil, if Monte Cook's words are taken literally.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Incidentally, I've been thinking about where to locate the evil - on the act of creating undead, or on the existence of those undead? And I think I prefer the former. Benefits:
    * You can have non-evil undead who aren't obligated to destroy themselves.
    * Less possible to circumvent.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-10-17 at 12:23 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele