View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1217 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1217 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Why would that be planned? If anything, that immediately lets Team Evil know that the markings are unreliable, instead of letting them believe they are reliable for an unknown amount of time in the future. It's actively detrimental to Team Good to let them know, assuming Team Good painted them.
    I must not have made myself clear, so I will attempt again.

From the perspective of Team Evil, this could look like an attempt from Team Good to bump them off.

All the facts are easily aligned to fit that narrative from their perspective.
    Even if Team Evil think back to their past discrepancies (where they started thinking they must have gone into more dungeons but didn't remember doing so), this could look like a trap long in the making that is being sprung now.

How would the good guys know this dungeon was sabotaged and contains super high level monsters still?
    Obviously the good guys marked it themselves and just remembered its location as part of their plan.

How would the good guys know when to make contact with RC?
    They were watching Team Evil.

Why are these dwarves so brazen with their behavior and relatively unconcerned with their current situation?
    Because they put in the time and effort to orchestrated events and lead Team Evil into a scenario that would benefit Team Good.
    One even shouted at RC "This is a bad plan we planned for!"

Team Evil could easily and incorrectly leap to the conclusion that Team Good has been watching their actions for sometime and planned this moment to tip their hand with hopes that Team Evil is killed.
    Both of RC and X have huge flaws that could play into this assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Or maybe team evil decides they’re random doors, opening to a different inter-dimensional dungeon each time you open them.

Or maybe team evil decides the dungeons repopulate much more quickly than they realized.

Or maybe team evil decides that the unreliable dope with the paint can who paints doors has painted the doors in an unreliable and dopey way.

Or maybe team evil will decide some other bugbear has been painting doors too, because they don’t want their favorite hunting ground messed with.

Or maybe team evil dies, and for the rest of the book is OotS has to figure out how to save the world without them.

What I’m saying is there are hundreds of potential “what next” scenarios, and choosing between either “team evil decides OotS did it” or “team evil decides MitD betrayed them” as the only options is a false dichotomy.
    Which is why I used the language "if anyone".
    Last edited by mashlagoo1982; 2020-10-20 at 12:55 PM.
    My top question a DM should ask:
    "Why?"

So it isn't lost...MitD Turaglas Analysis