Quote Originally Posted by Waazraath View Post
Hi all, very likely I'll start a new campaign in a few weeks. Starting level is 8, and it's old school dungeoneering. There are only 3 party members. Other stuff of importance:
- no to multiclassing, yes to feats
- probably no items
- probably rolling for stats

Of course, without knowing what stats I'll have, and what the other party members are, it is difficult to come up with a concrete build, but what I am looking for is stuff that, under these circumstances, is strong for this starting level and the small party size.

For example, I'm not very keen on a class like lore bard: they cover a lot of bases, but are relative squishy in the AC/HP department, something that can't be compensated with a hexblade or fighter dip, and with only 3 people I can't expect to be able to stay out of melee all the time. Same with archery builds: BM fighter with SS / CBE is a great damage dealer at this level, but its relative low AC gives me pause.

I'm tending towards builds like Artificer Battlesmith, shield/handcrossbow build (damage ranged and melee, some support like a little healing and providing a magic weapon for a party member, lots of defense), Hexblade blaster (focus on EB for damage, shield & medium armor, utility and optional 'face' role with invocations), or shepard druid (party support & summoning). The first two also bring an extra critter to the table (robo-pet / specter). Other options are monk (probably shadow), since at level 8 I think they have enough ki to not feel starved, and they have a solid AC 18 (provided I rolled average results), or PAM/sentinel barbarian (to have a solid hp buffer and some battlefield control to keep enemies away from the squishies)

But maybe I'm missing great options that work very well on this level. So if you feel like it: gimme ideas!
Given the limited number of players and without knowing the party ahead of time I'd recommend:

Celestial Warlock - Access to short rest healing can be game changing in a dungeon. In addition you can spam EB/Righeous Fire and use control spells like hypnotic pattern.

Cleric (Any) - Spirit Guardians is one of the best Dungeon spells. It lasts for 10 minutes making it possible to maintain from room to room. It's going to fill a good part of many rooms. It's ally friendly. It slows enemies making it harder for them to get to your allies.

Shepherd Druid - Flooding rooms with creatures is great (though DM can reign in the power of this spell somewhat, unless you know he will always go with your creature choice)

Sorcerer - Twin Polymorph. Room size can make this an issue. But when it isn't there's not anything stronger for a 3 man party at your level.

Wizards (Any)- Best out of combat addition with many control options.

I'd avoid characters that are too melee focused. To me that means no GWM, no Barbarian, no Paladin. I like BM+SS+CE Fighters, but they are rather 1 trick ponies for a dungeon with a 3 man party - especially at level 8 where you start to have enough level 3+ spells with casters.