I had a player use an awakened Yellow Musk creeper in a game I ran a while back, and so I just wanted to add some information that might help people. The minionmancy can seem scary, because while the Yellow Musk Creeper can turn any creature with an Int score (who is not immune to ability damage) into a Plant Zombie, there's some limitations:
  • They can only use that zombie for two months, after which, it dies.
  • Without some way to specifically command the Plant Zombies they are effectively just drones to wander within 100 feet of the creeper that can only perform two actions: feeding it more victims, or defending it from being killed.
  • They can use weapons and armor, no other class features, feats or skills.

The benefits of the zombies are:
  • They are plants, and not undead. It even gains low-light vision.
  • They can still use any racial Ex, Sp, and Su abilities. So technically, a Drow Plant zombie can still use their Darkness SLA, but it cannot cast spells if it used to be a Wizard, though it potentially needs to be commanded specifically to do so.
  • When the Zombie dies, another Yellow Musk creeper grows in 1 hour.

The in-built limited lifespan of the Plant Zombies can be a balance point, but the fast growth of a new Yellow Musk creeper can be exponential growth, especially if you have access to the Plant Domain, or the Command Plants spell.