1. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Has Another Player’s PC “ruined” the Tone of a Game for you?

I am not a fan - for myself - of "intentionally" silly or clearly offensive names.

For example, I had a co-worker tell me how he had been playing D&D - but they weren't very serious - like one of the players was a sprite and flew up someone's rump.

I'd said, if I was the DM - the sprite would then be restrained and begin suffering suffocation until he did a strength check vs clenched cheeks or if someone pulled him out (not likely, I'd imagine).

And he was like, "Man, I wish you would DM a game." So I checked with some co-workers and discovered several had never played D&D - and so I offered to DM.

The player complaining about his Sprite friend... named his Wizard "**** Poop." And no. I am not kidding.

I tried to convince him to change the name - but he was pretty adamant, explaining that's what he used for all the CRPGs. I could have enforced a name change or say, "Naw, not welcome" - but I said, "Let's see how this goes."

Despite the name, he actually played his Wizard quite well. So I just got used to simply referring his character as "****."

But I have had other people, who play over the top quirky characters, with silly names or quirks, that take me out of the game mentally. I won't - especially as a player say anything. If it gets to be too much, I'd excuse myself. But usually I overcome it and just realize everyone is there for fun - and gets it differently - and occasionally being yanked out of the game mentally for someone else's fun - is all right.

EDIT: Interesting, censors **** - which I understand - because the male sexual organ - but it's also people's name, like **** Grayson being Robin.
    (So that should tell you if you know Batman lore the censored name) :)
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2020-10-26 at 09:12 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)