1. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [Dragonlance/Faerun] Anyone here met any Cataclysm/Wall of the Faithless defender

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    The Wall of the Faithless is a weird, and yes arguably ethically misaligned piece of the Faerunian cosmology, but it really sounds like a lot of people are transposing much broader objections to the idea of a post-death cosmic judgment by imperfect and dubiously moral entities that undergird the entire system onto this one really marginal concept.
    Ding!
    I don't suppose there are people who consciously think "I didn't really have a problem with souls being tormented in the Nine Hells or the Abyss for all eternity, but sticking all the atheists in a wall is the last straw that means I will never play this game," but that is how it appears.

In many ways its demonstrative that this thread has focused on the Wall of the Faithless, a largely trivial aspect of the Forgotten Realms, rather than the Cataclysm, a hugely consequential aspect of Dragonlance. The Cataclysm is clear a fundamental issue with Dragonlance for many people, and I suspect that most fans of the setting get by just by ignoring its ethical implications entirely (several of the characters in setting certainly take that approach) or just shrug it off in that Weis and Hickman actually aren't especially inspired world-builders. The Wall, by contrast, can be finessed into some level of acceptability for most.
    Ding!
    The Cataclysm really does have serious moral implications, but it's a fundamental part of the setting, to the point that just discarding it would be impossible.
    Last edited by Jason; 2020-11-02 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typo